An art blog less about process and theory, and more of a portfolio for me to dump my nonsense. Updates M, W, F, or whenever I feel like it.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Dangly earrings

A gift for my sister (who has un-pierced ears) last Christmas. She wanted something "dangly" and was having a hard time finding options. Though I found "dangly" to be a vague descriptor, I aimed for something that would hang almost to the shoulder and had multiple points of articulation so that the earrings would flow when the wearer moves their head rather than move as one rigid piece.
The earrings are composed of thick jeweler's wire for the main swoop, thin wire for the attachments, and super sculpey for the twists. The twists were painted with acrylics as were the fronts of the clasps so that the color would match. Not only is it hard to find earrings for those without pierced ears, but it's also hard to find a diversity of means to make them from scratch. . . but it's nothing a little paint can't fix  :-)

A nice tip I got from craft-master Steve Bylsma involves using gloves or latex finger tippers when painting to avoid leaving finger prints on painted surfaces that need to be handled. I got that piece of advice after having finished these, but I'll know for the future if I ever want to make more pieces similar to these.

No comments:

Post a Comment