An art blog less about process and theory, and more of a portfolio for me to dump my nonsense. Updates M, W, F, or whenever I feel like it.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A letter home.


Today's piece is a Father's day card I "wrote" for my dad last year. It's an image of my parents' Victorian home in California where I grew up and was inked using an old typewriter. It was inspired by other works of typewriter created art, though I must say my finished product looks quite primitive compared to what other people are able to accomplish with the same tools. However, this was my first attempt at such things, I didn't sketch it out before hand which I should have, and I had limited control over where I could put characters. The page could be set to any position on the vertical axis but not the horizontal so, as you may note, the image is separated into delimited columns.

All critique (and typos) aside, I was quite proud of the result. I learned a lot in the process about positioning, character choice, and how much pressure to apply to yield the desired level of "shading."
If you have experience with other forms of 2D art and have access to a typewriter, I would highly recommend trying to draw with one; it's a wonderful exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment