An art blog less about process and theory, and more of a portfolio for me to dump my nonsense. Updates M, W, F, or whenever I feel like it.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Otch

Today's piece is the second in a series of busts created without any foresight. As with the piece presented 9/12/2010, the only direction going in was that it should be an organism of indeterminate sentience seen from the shoulders up. I've entitled this one "Otch."

As with most posts, please click the photos to see them better.




The bust is about the size of a softball. Otch wears a large winter coat, a scarf, and a monocle. His eyes are suspended between stalks so that they can swivel 360 degrees. He is currently investigating a small stone covered in runes and has a set of tinkering tools for . . . whatever it is he does. The gill-like flaps on his chin and the hexagonal pits on his face could be sensory organs or ornamental--who knows.





As with the previous bust, I haven't painted it yet in hope of casting it someday. I've come to realize, however, that there are too many gaps, loops, and fragile bits to make a functional mold so this one will remain one of a kind. In my future sculpting I need to start taking that into consideration.

I look forward to continuing the series. A story may even begin to emerge with enough characters to draw from!





No comments:

Post a Comment